Absentee Voting Information for Americans Abroad

Under the Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA), the right to vote can be exercised by United States citizens in every corner of the world. Generally, all U.S. citizens 18 years or older who are residing outside the United States during an election period are eligible to vote absentee in any election for Federal office (this includes Presidential elections and the elections of Senators and Representatives).

The official U.S. Government website for overseas absentee voting assistance is the Federal Voting Assistance Program, which offers extensive information about absentee voting, including on line versions of Voter Registration/Absentee Ballot Request form (FPCA) and Federal Write-in Absentee Ballots (FWAB), state-specific instructions, links to state and local officials and much more.  This site is continually updated and has the most current information regarding deadlines and voting requirements for each state.

In addition, the Department of State’s website at Absentee Voting for U.S. Citizens Abroad provides updated information on absentee voting for Americans living abroad including:

If you have any questions please contact our Voting Assistant Officer (VAO) at

Overseas voter assistance is provided by the Federal Voting Assistance Program. You can also call them toll-free from Singapore at 800-1203425.

The procedures and deadlines to vote absentee vary from state to state. However, the same document – the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) – is accepted by all states and territories as an application for both registration and for an absentee ballot.   The FPCA can be obtained at the Embassy or online at the Federal Voting Assistance Program.