Passport Frequently Asked Questions

In addition to the requested documents for a regular tourist Passport, please submit:

  • Form DD 1056 Authorization to Apply for a No-Fee Passport: Typed and signed in blue ink by an authorized official. This form is provided by your agency. An authorization document must be attached to each application. (A family of four must have an authorization document for the employee and one copy of the authorization document for each family member’s passport application). On question #11, do not list Singapore as your country of destination.
  • Travel Orders: Listing post of assignment, date of assignment, and any authorized dependents. If you are renewing your passport, please make sure the letter includes the extension of your overseas duty.

Please note that you need to make an appointment online to submit your passport application, and that it takes at least 4-6 weeks to process an official passport.

Yes, every person entering American Citizen Services should take a queue number before they enter the waiting room.  The Q machine is located right outside the waiting room entrance.

The only exception is if you are coming to pick up your passport at the cashier window.

Each appointment time has multiple slots so more than one person can have the same appointment time.  We use the Q system to ensure that we are seeing applicants with the same appointment time in the order that they arrive at the Embassy.

Please come to the Embassy at least 15 minutes ahead of your appointment time.  You will need to go through security before being allowed to proceed to the ACS waiting room. Applicants should plan to spend at least an hour at the Embassy.

If you do not have a valid U.S. passport and have an urgent need to travel, the Embassy may be able to issue a limited-validity emergency passport under very specific and limited circumstances.  Failure to plan adequately ahead for business or personal travel does not constitute an emergency.

If you believe you have qualifying circumstances and have attempted to schedule an appointment but have found there were no more slots available, please send us an e-mail to  Please include the following:

  • Name and Contact Information;
  • A description of your situation

We will reply to you as soon as we can.  We will not be able to accommodate all requests.  Therefore, it is important that you plan well in advance of your trips.

We are not able to extend passports. If your passport has less than six months validity, you will need to apply for a new passport. Please refer to the information posted on our website.

If you do not receive an email notifying you that your passport is ready for collection by the date stamped on the orange collection slip you were given the day of your appointment, then you can come on the stamped date. Please note that we will only keep passports up to 90 days from the date stamped on your collection slip.  Before coming to collect your passport, you should visit our website for consular public hours and closure dates.

You may delegate someone to pick up the passport on your behalf once it is ready, by signing the authorization form on the back of the orange collection slip.  He/she must bring:

  • The collection/authorization slip
  • A valid government issued photo ID
  • Your current passport, which we will cancel and return same day

If there are any doubts regarding the validity of the authorization letter, the applicant will have to come to pick up his/her passport.

Minor passports must be picked up by one of their parents or legal guardians.  The minor applicant does not need to return to the Embassy.

Passport pick-up is at the ACS Cashier Window on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays (except on consular closure dates) from 8:30 – 12:00 and 13:30 – 15:00.  no pick-ups on Thursdays.  Please do not take a Q-number for passport pick-up.

There is a self-operated photo booth on the embassy premises that can generate two U.S. passport-size photos for S$10.00. The machine is located on the ground floor the visa applicants’ waiting room.  Please be sure to have the exact change as the machine can only accept a Singapore ten dollar note and the cashiers cannot provide change. Please note that it is very difficult to take an acceptable infant’s photo in the booth.  Make sure you have your picture ready when you submit your application.

You are required to provide your SSN, if you have one, when you apply for or renew a U.S. passport. If you have not been issued a SSN, write zeros in box # 5 of the passport application form you are completing. To apply for a SSN please refer to the information here. If you have a number, but do not remember it, contact the regional office in Manila and request that they email your SSN to our ACS office in Singapore.

If you fail to provide the information, you are subject to a $500 penalty enforced by the IRS. All questions on this matter should be directed to the nearest IRS office.

If you are renewing a ten-year validity passport that has not yet expired or expired less than two years ago, and your name has not changed, you may send another person to the Embassy to file the application for you.

If you do this, provide this person with a signed letter of authorization stating that you permit them to file a passport application on your behalf. You must sign the DS-82 form yourself; no proxy is allowed. Please note that if the passport official has any question about your eligibility for a U.S. passport, you will be required to appear in person.

If your prior passport expired more than two years ago, you must appear in perso

The following information is provided as a general guideline:

As long as your re-entry permit is valid, you should not have any problems if you travel with both passports. However, if you are a Singapore PR, we recommend you take both your old and new passports to the Permanent Resident Services Centre at the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) Building, to transfer the re-entry permit endorsement from the old passport to the new one.  For the most comprehensive information you need to contact Ministry of Manpower or ICA to determine if/how you can transfer your re-entry permit to your new passport.

Once a passport is reported lost or stolen to the Embassy, it is immediately and automatically cancelled to prevent mala-fide travelers from using it. Even if you recover your passport, it must be replaced, as you will experience significant problems if you attempt to use it to travel.