Marriage In Singapore

Getting Married in Singapore

For the most comprehensive information on how to get married in Singapore, go to the Singapore Registry of Marriages (ROM) website.

The following information is provided as a general guideline for U.S. citizens planning to get married in Singapore.

DISCLAIMER: The information relating to the legal requirements of getting married in Singapore is provided for general information only and may not be totally accurate in a particular case. Questions involving interpretations of specific foreign laws should be addressed to foreign attorneys or foreign government officials.

All persons, including American citizens, who desire to marry in Singapore, must do so according to Singapore law. Persons intending marriage, whether Singaporean or foreign, are required to produce passports and evidence of the termination of any previous marriages, if any, i.e. divorce decrees or death certificates.

Step 1: File a Notice of Marriage

  • One of the parties to the intended marriage must file a Notice of Marriage with the Registrar online at File Notice of Marriage.
  • A 15-day continuous residence in Singapore is required of one of the parties to the proposed marriage before the Notice of Marriage can be filed. The day of arrival in Singapore is not included and the 15 days need not be continuous or immediately preceding the date of Notice of Marriage.
  • After the Notice has been filed, there is a 21-day waiting period while the banns are published. Parties to the proposed marriage need not be present in Singapore during the 21-day waiting period.
  • Couples who intend to marry in Singapore must satisfy the requirements of the Singapore law, which include the minimum 15 days’ stay in Singapore before filing a notice of marriage and the minimum notice period of 21 days before a marriage licence may be issued. Requests for waiver of these requirements will not be fulfilled.

Step 2: Obtain Marriage License

  • Both parties to the proposed marriage need to go to the Registry of Marriages where Verification of Documents (V/D) is performed and a Statutory Declaration (SD), indicating that all the legal requirements for a marriage are met, is taken.
  • A Marriage License can only be issued after the 21-day Notice of Marriage period.
  • A Marriage License is only valid for 90 days from the date the Notice of Marriage is issued.
  • The Marriage License fee in Singapore.
  • A blood test is not required.
  • Consent is required for marriage of a minor (under 18 years old). Further information can be found at Legal Provisions for Minors.

Step 3: Get Married

  • The civil (solemnization), religious and/or customary wedding ceremonies can be performed simultaneously in the venue of the couples’ choice. A customary or religious ceremony may not precede the civil marriage ceremony.
  • The marriage ceremony must be performed in the presence of a licensed solemnizer and 2 witnesses above 21 years old.
  • At the end of the ceremony, the solemnizer hands the bride a copy of the Certificate of Marriage.
  • The marriage ceremony must be within the legal time frame, i.e. after 21 days and within 3 months of the date the Notice of Marriage is issued.
  • If the marriage does not take place within 3 months of the date the Notice of Marriage is filed, the Notice of Marriage and all related proceedings are voided, and a new Notice of Marriage would need to be filed.

Additional detailed information can be obtained from the Registry of Marriages, 7 Canning Rise, Singapore 179869. Telephone: (65) 6338 7808.

Validity of Marriages Abroad

In general, marriages which are legally performed and valid in Singapore are also legally valid in the United States. If you need confirmation that your marriage will be recognized in the United States, consult the Attorney General of your state of residence in the United States.

Going to the U.S with your non-American Citizen spouse

A foreign spouse has no automatic right to a U.S. visa, entry or residence. If your foreign spouse wishes to visit the U.S. temporarily, he/she may need to apply for a visitor visa. For further information please visit Apply for a U.S. Visa

To live in the U.S., your foreign spouse needs an immigrant visa. This requirement applies to all non-American Citizens, including Singaporeans. An immigrant visa allows your spouse to live, work or study in the U.S. indefinitely. For information on how to apply for an immigrant visa visit:

Affidavit of Eligibility/Freedom to Marry:

Generally, Americans who wish to marry abroad execute a sworn statement regarding their civil status in the form of a “Affidavit of Eligibility/Freedom to Marry” before any Coordination Council for North American Affairs office in the U.S. or at the American Embassy in Singapore. In the absence of a state or national certificate of no impediment to marry, this sworn statement seems to satisfy foreign local requirements.