Preventing the spread of COVID-19 continues to be a collective challenge for all nations of the world. In keeping with U.S. Department of State guidance for all consular sections worldwide, the American Citizen Services office is gradually re-opening services for Passports and Consular Reports of Birth Abroad. Customers are invited to make appointments for those services here.

Important Notice:  In accordance with Government of Singapore social distancing guidelines, only those with confirmed appointments for American Citizen Services may enter.
If you do not have an appointment, please schedule one online at
For Questions contact us at
For urgent matters call us at 6476-9100

You are required to have an appointment to submit your CRBA application.  To make an appointment, please visit the U.S. Citizens Services Appointment System.

Most children born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents acquire U.S. citizenship at birth.  As soon as possible after the birth, the U.S. citizen parent should make an appointment at the U.S.  Embassy to apply for the child’s:

  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)
  • U.S. passport

A Consular Report of Birth (CRBA) is evidence of United States citizenship, issued to a child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents who meet the requirements for transmitting citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). This document is recognized in the United States as proof of acquisition of U.S. citizenship, and it is acceptable evidence of citizenship for obtaining a passport, entering school, and most other purposes.  Failure to document a child promptly as a U.S. citizen may cause hardship for the parents or child later on when attempting to obtain a passport or register for school.

Note: Anyone who has a claim to U.S. citizenship must be in possession of a valid U.S. passport to enter and exit the United States, even if they have citizenship of another country, as well.

An application for a CRBA and a minor’s passport must be made, in person. Both parents and the child must come to the appointment at the Embassy.

Note: US Embassy Singapore can approve or deny CRBA applications only for children born in Singapore. If a child was born in another country, we can only collect the application and supporting documents and forward them to the U.S. Embassy in that country for adjudication. This usually adds 6-12 months to the processing time of the CRBA.

Eligibility for a CRBA

In order to determine whether or not the U.S. citizen parent(s) is/are able to transmit citizenship, please refer to Acquisition of U.S. Citizenship By a Child Born Abroad.

  • Adopted children are not eligible for a CRBA
  • Use of Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART)
    Transmission of U.S. citizenship at birth to a child born abroad is governed by Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) Sections 301 and/or 309. The Department of State interprets the INA to require a U.S. citizen parent to have a biological connection to a child in order to transmit U.S. citizenship to the child at birth.  In other words, in order to transmit U.S. citizenship to a child conceived through Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART), a U.S. citizen father must be the genetic parent or a U.S. citizen mother must be either the genetic or the gestational and legal mother of the child at the time and place of the child’s birth.  (A gestational mother is the woman who carries and gives birth to the child.) If you used/are considering the use of Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART) please refer to Important Information for U.S. Citizens Considering the Use of Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART) Abroad.

If you believe transmission requirements have been met, please schedule an appointment. The day of the appointment you must submit originals and copies of the following:

  • Evidence of Parents’ Citizenship and Identity (2 copies): A current passport is the preferred form of proof. A naturalization certificate, or official U.S. birth certificate is acceptable, but you must also present photo identification.
  • Child’s Birth certificate (2 copies)
  • Evidence of parents’ marriage, if applicable (1 copy)
  • Evidence of termination of all prior marriages of parents, if applicable (1 copy): divorce decree(s) or death certificate(s).
  • English translation: All supporting documents in a foreign language must be translated into English.
  • Completed application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad:  Form DS-2029 (PDF 61KB)
  • Application for a U.S. passport: Form DS-11 (PDF 97KB)
  • One U.S. passport-sized photo:  2″ X 2″ with a white background showing the child’s full face with the eyes open. If the child is being held up in front of a camera, please ensure that no part of the child’s head or face is obstructed.

In some cases the following information may be required

  • Evidence of U.S. citizen parents’ physical presence in the U.S.(1 copy): This is required when only one parent is a U.S. citizen even if that parent was born in the U.S. Merely maintaining a residence in the U.S. (i.e. having a home in the U.S., maintaining voter registration, etc.) is insufficient.  The law requires that you must actually be in the U.S. for a total of five years, with two of these years being after the age of 14.  Examples of documents that can help demonstrate your presence in the U.S. include:
    • High school and college transcripts (NOTE: this is the preferred evidence of physical presence)
    • Military records
    • Vaccination and medical records
    • Bank statements showing transactions in the U.S.
    • Property rental leases and payment receipts
    • Employment records, letters from employer confirming dates worked in the U.S., income records
  • Insufficient Evidence of Relationship.  If the documents provided do not clearly establish a biological connection between the child and the parents, DNA testing may be recommended. It is likely that DNA testing will be recommended in cases using Artificial Reproductive Technology (ART).
  • Affidavit of parentage: required for a child conceived out of wedlock.
  • Evidence of parents’ physical presence together at time of conception (1 copy): required if the child was conceived out of wedlock, e.g. passports, leases, etc.

Processing for the CRBA and the passport normally takes seven to ten workdays.

FEES: There is a US$100 fee for the Consular Report of Birth Abroad and a US$115 fee for the passport application for a total of US$215.  It can be paid in Singapore currency or with a credit card (Visa, American Express, Diner’s Club and Discover) are accepted.  However, U.S. currency, personal checks and Singapore NET cards are NOT accepted.

Obtaining a replacement or additional copies of a Consular Report of Birth Abroad

The Embassy does not retain completed CRBA files. Rather, these are forwarded to the Department of State in Washington, D.C.  Replacement or additional copies of the CRBA must be requested from the Department of State.  Additional information including fees and request requirements is available on the Department website.

Note:  According to the Singaporean Immigration and Checkpoint Authority (ICA) parents of foreign children born in Singapore are required to obtain a travel document for the child from the Embassy or the High Commission of their nationality within 42 days from the child’s date of birth and to regularize the immigration status of the child by applying for the appropriate immigration pass with ICA as soon as possible. For complete information contact ICA.