Event: Increased enforcement actions in Singapore related to Safe-Distancing Regulations
The government of Singapore has announced that as of 12 April 2020 there has been an increase in enforcement actions related Safe-Distancing Regulations. Please carefully read this Singapore government message to understand the scope of present and future enforcement actions.
Violations of Safe-Distancing Regulations include fines and even imprisonment. For information please see the Singapore government’s Promulgation of Regulations Under Infectious Diseases Act.
Heightened social distancing regulations during the “circuit breaker” period have been in force since 07 April 2020 and are set to continue through at least 04 May 2020. These measures have been enacted to prevent the spread of COVID-19 within the city-state. More details on these measures can be found here: https://www.gov.sg/article/covid-19-circuit-breaker-heightened-safe-distancing-measures-to-reduce-movement.
The U.S. Embassy strongly encourages all U.S. citizens in Singapore, and members of their households, to follow all local laws, rules and regulations while in Singapore. Penalties for violating Safe-Distancing and other regulations during this period could result in serious and permanent consequences, particularly for those that are on visit passes or hold an employment or other long-term pass, and even if you are a permanent resident of Singapore.
If you are a U.S. citizen that has been arrested in Singapore, please ask the appropriate Singaporean official to notify the U.S. Embassy immediately. Please see our consular page on arrests for more information.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Warning for COVID-19 in Singapore advising travelers to avoid non-essential travel to Singapore.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Singapore.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States Assistance:
- U.S. Embassy Singapore
27 Napier Road
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Singapore Country Information can be found here.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive health and security updates: https://step.state.gov/step/
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter