Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Singapore (January 30, 2020)
Event: Regional Health Alert – Coronavirus
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends that travelers avoid all travel to Wuhan, People’s Republic of China, and all nonessential travel to China in general, due to an ongoing outbreak of respiratory illness caused by a novel (new) coronavirus, which can be spread from person to person.
Actions to Take:
- Do not travel to Hubei province, China, and carefully consider any other travel to China due to a novel (new) coronavirus first identified in Wuhan, China.
- The situation is changing rapidly throughout the region, and you are recommended to follow official and reliable sources of information such as the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the Singapore Ministry of Health, and the World Health Organization.
- Monitor Singapore local media for updates on further precautionary measures that may affect airports and other ports of entry, schools and other public facilities.
- In keeping with the guidance from the Singapore Ministry of Health, you should be evaluated at a local fever clinic if either of the following apply to you:
- Coughing or shortness of breath AND travel to mainland China in the past 14 days.
- Any respiratory symptoms to include cough, runny nose etc. for someone who in the last 14 days has:
- Been to Hubei Province, China; OR
- Been to a hospital in mainland China; OR
- Had close contact with a case of 2019 novel coronavirus infection.
The Singapore MOH, CDC, and the WHO have all published similar recommendations on what you can do to reduce your risk of infection. These include:
Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.
Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when coughing or sneezing.
Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
Practice safe food handling and avoid animal markets.
Keep your workspace and living spaces clean.
- U.S. Embassy Singapore
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Singapore Country Information can be found here.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive health and security updates: https://step.state.gov/step/
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter