An official website of the United States government

Emergency Financial Assistance
April 3, 2021

If destitute, an American citizen can get help from American Citizen Services. ACS can assist by contacting the destitute person’s family, friends, or business associates to raise private funds. ACS can also assist with transmitting these funds to destitute Americans. If no funds can be procured, then an application for a repatriation loan must be authorized by the Department of State to pay for destitute Americans’ direct return to the U.S. The destitute American’s passport is then restricted for direct return to the U.S. only.

Additional Resources